Saturday, December 29, 2018

2017 End-of-Year Ranking -- 56 Films

2017 was a year of uncertainty. Each plan for the future was met with an asterisk. What got me through it all was Hark — he was steady as ever. The other major source of comfort: each new movie. Being able to dive into a fully-realized world each week was exactly what I needed. I may not have loved every film, or every early-morning showing, but I'm glad they were there. I’m grateful for all the places I was able to go!

F: Broadway Melody [1929].


D+: Logan.


C-: Henry IV Part 1 [Globe Theater 2012]. Catch 22 [1970].


C: Thor: The Dark World [2014]. Cimarron [1931]. Thor [2011].


C+: Dunkirk.


B-: O Brother Where Art Thou [2000]. Wings [1927]. Margaret [2011].


B: Henry IV Part 1 [Royal Shakespeare Company 2014]. Grand Hotel [1932]. The Disaster Artist. The Florida Project. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2.


B+: It. Marshall. Beach Rats. Blade Runner 2049. Wonder Woman. It Comes at Night. You Can Count On Me [2000]. Loving Vincent. Maudie. The Color Purple. Spiderman: Homecoming. Faces Places. Jane. Lady Bird. Battle of the Sexes. Thor Ragnorak. Wonder. Star Wars: The Last Jedi. 12 Cloverfield Lane [2016].


A-: I, Tonya. Molly's Game. Stronger. American Made. The Shape of Water. War of the Planet of the Apes. Henry IV Part 1 [The Hollow Crown 2012]. I, Daniel Blake. Detroit. All Quiet on the Western Front [1930]. Call Me By Your Name.


A: Only The Brave. Wind River. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. The Big Sick.


A+: Darkest Hour. B.P.M.. Baby Driver. Coco. Get Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Pre-Oscar Ranking -- 137 Films

7 hours before this year’s Oscars, here’s a ranking of the 137 films seen since last year’s Oscars. [Note: Titles I've seen since the en...