Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 End-of-Year Ranking — 56 Films

My 2018 was defined by films.  With the prospect of a child on the horizon, I went all in on the interest that drove most of my childhood: movies.  I saw fewer shows and attended fewer concerts to open up time.  I knew this was my last chance to fulfill the Siskel & Ebert fantasy I'd had through most of middle school.  The result?  This list, the 56 movies I saw this year...   
[Note: Animated Shorts [AS] and Live Action Shorts [LAS] are identified by those initials.]
F+: Bus Story [2014 AS].
D: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald.
C-: Ready Player One.  Footprints [AS 2014]. Me and Moulton [2014 AS]. 
C: Parveneh [LAS 2014].  Butter Lamp [LAS 2014].  Deadpool 2.
C+: A Muppet Christmas Carol.
B-: Sorry To Bother You.
B: Mission Impossible: Fallout.  At Eternity's Gate.  First Man.  John Wick.  Ant-Man and the Wasp.
B+: Mid 90s.  Sweet Cocoon [2014 AS].  Boogaloo and Graham [2014 LAS].  The Dam Keeper [2014 LAS]. Widows. Creed II.  Eighth Grade.  Mary Poppins Returns.  Shoplifters.  The Old Man and the Gun.  Bumblebee.  Can You Ever Forgive Me?  The Greatest Showman.  Love Simon.
A-: Duet [2014 AS].  The Bigger Picture [2014 AS]. The Favourite. A Private War. Avengers: Infinity War.  Crazy Rich Asians. Green Book. Black Panther.
A: The Phone Call [2014 LAS]. Burning.  Roma.  A Quiet Place.  BlacKKKlansman.  Won't You Be My Neighbor?  Boy Erased.  Ben is Back.  A Star is Born.  Ralph Breaks The Internet.
A+: Free Solo.  The Hate U Give.  RBG.  The Guilty.  Searching.  Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.  Three Identical Strangers. Blindspotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Pre-Oscar Ranking -- 137 Films

7 hours before this year’s Oscars, here’s a ranking of the 137 films seen since last year’s Oscars. [Note: Titles I've seen since the en...